Thursday, December 31, 2009

My Reflections of 2009


Another year is coming to a close... in fact it is the last day of the year....it has been a very busy year....I often forget how busy the year was... until I look back at my diary and see all the entries and everything I have done and wonder how the hell I fit it all in and remain sane.... when I review my blog for the year I have 53 entries as compared with 57 last year..and my viewer rate has increased but my viewer comments have declined...I am not sure how to interpret these results..to say that I blog out of interest and to widen the scope of information for women. An objective for next year will be to blog more often and tempt more reader comments....any tips on how to do this are welcome...

Highlights this year... making Isabella's christening gown, Ian's 60th birthday in Malaysia & getting a par, Ben & Peta's wedding - Bali, presenting at the Adelaide ACM Conference, then having a Midnight snack at McDonald's with Heather...getting the house to myself (daughter moved out)....more romantic time with my husband...getting an iphone...
Low points: Ian not being well....damaging my iphone....not having enough time to myself....

Work has been challenging but exciting and next year proves to be even more so challenging with a new project a foot the 'iportfolio'. This will mean engaging the nursing & midwifery students to move to an electronic portfolio and the introduction of a new curriculum, so lots of work ahead. I am also looking at the Second Life birth unit in more depth so as to engage the midwifery students, I am hoping to get some help from Sarah Stewart who is the expert in this area.
I hope to continue working one day a week clinically, however with my teaching commitments sometimes this is difficult and I really do not want to eat into my weekends.

Big changes for our profession in 2010 with National Registration and Accreditation Scheme -National Registration due in July and also MBS & PBS changes later in the year ....it is very important for all Nurses and Midwives.... I will be keeping this blog up to date on all these issues....definitely watch this space

The biggest decision I have to make is whether or not to continue with my PhD which has been on hold this year... whilst I completed the Graduate Certificate of Tertiary Teaching which I have now done.....yeah.... I ask myself do I want to keep studying and strangely when I don't study I get withdrawals I crave more knowledge and get bored from not studying....but do I have the devotion of a three year lonely road of a PhD? I am not sure.... will have to ponder on this further..... so watch this space....

On a personal level, the three eldest grandchildren are at Kindy, pre-school and school this year where do the years go..... it will be no surprise to find that we may be expecting to be grandparents again for the 8th time. Dylan will be going to have his tonsils out in January.... so that will be traumatic....thankfully only for a short period. As for my husband I am hoping that we both win the battle of the bulge this year and work hard at losing weight and reaping the results of lowering our blood pressure and being healthier....so lots more physical exercise in 2010....

For me 2010 is already looking busy and travel plans are being made.... with in the first 6 months.... it will be Sydney, Singapore, a friends wedding in Margaret River, and Alice Springs ACM Breathing New Life into Maternity Care 2010.... and of course my major highlight is saving for the ICM 29th Triennial Congress Durban, South Africa 19 - 23 June 2011, so I am hoping not to do to much travelling in 2010 and not to spend too much money this year....

"How to weigh yourself and get the most accurate result. I can't believe I have been doing it wrong all these years".

Ref picture:http://getguid.files.wordpress.com/2007/09/diet-scales.jpg

My Key Aims: Be more healthy... walk 5 out of 7 days for 30 mins. Find some quiet time each day: laugh every day, and eat smaller portions...... the rest I will make up as I go.....Enjoy & be thankful in 2010.... Be Happy and Safe.

2 comments:

Laura Jane said...

Sounds like a good plan Pauline!

One of my highlights has been getting to know you better. I look forward to more of it.

Cheers to 2010!

Anonymous said...

its been a pleasure meeting you and your lovely family and i hope you get everything you wish for in the coming year thank you for everything and helping make my holiday memorialable.....love Patsy

Save Homebirth

Home Birth Australia