Friday, July 9, 2010

Alice Springs Review


Can you spot the Rock! Click the picture to see the album of photo's.

Our trip to Alice Springs started with a Bus trip (Emu Run Tours)0600 to 2330hrs....a long day, as we (6) were prepared for the day I had some papers to mark and my book (Tuscan Rose by Belinda Alexandra)to read along the way, plus my bottle of water and off course some chocolate. The bus picks you up from the hotel surprisingly there were approximately 12 midwives on the tour....it was a great way to see the rock if you have limited time and someone else does the driving.....lucky for us it was a fine day, cold but fine...some of us had Spencer's and long johns on to keep warm. We travelled south from Alice Springs, passing through the MacDonnell Ranges, breakfast was on the bus then our first stop was at Erldunda Roadhouse and Aboriginal art display. We arrived at Uluru around midday and stopped at the Visitors Centre. We have lunch and travel to the Olgas. Back to Ayers Rock and visit the Aboriginal Cultural Centre. Joan and I decided that we would do a mini walk of Uluru.... I got about a quarter of the way up.... it became to steep for me and I did not have hiking boots on...it was to slippery for me and not being fit was also a draw back...Joan did very well she manged to get to the top and start walking along the flat surface....but we only had 40 mins... and it takes about 2.5hrs to do the whole walk. I was happy with just sitting and taking in the beauty and spirituality of the Rock.....it really was breath taking....I came down and walked around the base breathing in the clean air.... I was delirious with a sense of peace....it truly was special......

Our accomodation was the Palms Springs Resort....about a 10 min walk to the confernece centre and a 20 min walk to town. The Conference was a great success, it was good to see nurses, midwives, doctors all working together for the common goal..... a healthy nation, closing the gap in Indigenous health care. For me it was good to hear all the keynote speakers, the resounding message was....."collaboration" is the key to successful relationship between health professionals. Dr Paul Reuwer, said "I love midwives" "Midwives need to be the key provider, they should be in charge and they should be referring to the Obstetrician". The thing I like most about conferences is that you can network, catch up with old friends, make new friends and generally spend time with like minded people spreading the word about midwifery and learning from each other. There were two evening events... the Beanie and Ballgown Party followed by the Conference dinner... one of the best nights is when the girls all went into town to Bojangles and danced the night away.....oh and guess what I didn't take my camera that night....

The town of Alice Springs is interesting.... a population of 25,000 people of which 85% are indigenous....the town has approx 13 indigenous campsites, some do not have established infrastructure. Its the first place I have seen so many dry river beds... The Todd River was bone dry.... however in the wet season it can get flooded....The local shops cater for most of your needs, clearly no boutique shops as it is a small town, Coles, Woolworth's and Target...what more could you ask for... a good variety of restaurants and pubs...there is no shortage of bottle shops and the town has a good taxi service...the last taxi driver was chatting to me and took me on a tour of some of the town campsites... he has lived in the town for 20 years and was telling me about all the changes and also how he felt that things could be done differently and better....for the people of Alice Springs. Would I go back to Alice Springs?.... maybe on my way to see Kings Valley and with my husband, including it in a wider tour of the central area including Katherine and the gorges..... A tip...if you are short of time and only want to see Uluru...the bus tour is a good solution, well worth seeing the Rock......another tick on the bucket list.......

No comments:

Save Homebirth

Home Birth Australia