Wednesday, March 3, 2010

It is an exciting time of the year..... the new semester


Sorry I have not blogged for a few weeks....
I had a mini break.... it was a girlie weekend in Sydney for one of our friends 50th birthday, it was planned early last year... just brilliant...just what the doctor ordered... I spent on night in Sydney it was fantastic, it has a bitter sweet place for me, I spent the last few years of high school there, the first few years of my working career, my first love and the birth of my son.... and heartache about my mother and family life...walking around Martin Place and the city bought back many memories both good and bad... it feels like going home, even though its not.


I met up with an old nursing buddy from 30 yrs or more ago....it was interesting sharing dinner and reminiscing....its good to do that from time to time. I then caught the train with the gang and spent the next few days in Brooklyn.

Brooklyn on the Hawkesbury: NSW



Life is grand as you sit and contemplate it on the edge of a pier, the sun is rising, chorus of the birds in the background and in the distance a reminder of city life with the constant drum of traffic catching your eye… this is a little piece of heaven…. A secluded secret part of the world… as I sit and write this blog I am watching the birds on a tin roof preen each other chatting away and I think how privileged I am to be witness to such a life…. Now the waft of bacon and eggs drift across my nostrils and remind my stomach of how much alcohol I consumed last night…… it was wonderful to see Jen again and be with such lovely people….there is something special about a group of women sharing, drinking, laughing… there is no stone unturned… we are a force to be reckoned with… and as much as I think it’s a mans world there is nothing more forceful than strong women……maybe money….. These birds can be noisy buggers……. It’s time to get some breakfast……




I met up with some of our Eastern States midwifery colleagues who are for me truly inspirational... and gives me the reason to continue the journey for the recognition of the "midwife" in Australia, I like to use the analogy of the Suffragettes fighting for the equality of women....in trying to get the vote....when describing the political battle midwives are having to be heard, seen, given the right to provide women with continuity of midwifery care, informed choice, the right for women to choose where they want to birth....and for midwives to work autonomously, and not be subjected to being signed off or controlled by an obstetrician..the medical model..... Collaborative care is a two way street....
It was fab talking to other midwives and gaining a broader perspective of the issues midwives and midwifery are facing in these challenging times.....



Back to reality with a thud...it is the beginning of the semester... new students.....it is always so exciting to see them...the enthusiasm is palpable and as for me I just love the thrill....I love the first lecture.... this is when you have the most students and you can have them eating out of the palm of your hand.... sharing the knowledge its just brilliant... however my workload is exceptionally high.... I know, I can hear every academic saying "yes whats new".... I tried going into work on Monday with a new philosophy...."I have enough time in the day to get everything I need to get done...completed"... well that was a complete farce...it got from bad to worse and I am just chasing my tail.... the email inbox still needs to be emptied...on second thoughts maybe it was a bad time to go to Sydney... better planning next time..but alas you really cant choose when you are going to be 50... it was a brilliant time and I am thankful for the wonderful time I had...ah well there is another day tomorrow.....and the work will still be there.....

No comments:

Save Homebirth

Home Birth Australia